Book Review: The Hunger Games Trilogy

>> Monday, September 20, 2010

"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts.  The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games.  But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature,  Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender.  But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love."

---

I have to admit that when I first heard about The Hunger Games, I was less than interested.  As my boss explained the sci-fi novel taking place where North America once was, I could barely feign interest.  So, when she loaned me the series on audiobook (without my asking), I knew I was going to have to at least try to listen to it.  Much to my surprise, not only did the series exceed my admittedly low expectations, but I was completely hooked!  I listened to the audiobooks non-stop, and was so sad to finally finish Mockingjay, the last installment of the trilogy.

Unfortunately for me the audiobooks weren't mine to listen to repeatedly, and I must admit that I prefer reading a book over listening to an audiobook (although, that's not possible while commuting to and from work).  Obviously, I had to buy the trilogy - the sooner the better.  Lucky for me, Amazon.com had the trilogy boxset in hardback for less than the cost of the three books individually!  I ordered it immediately, and now I am the proud owner of:


Amazon.com's version of The Hunger Games Trilogy comes as a boxset with hardback binding.

The Hunger Games Trilogy includes: The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay - which were released in 2008, 2009, and 2010, respectively.  I can't wait to start (re-)reading!

Have you read The Hunger Games series?  What did you think?  What book(s) recently exceeded your expectations?

Photo Credit:
The Hunger Games Trilogy, $27.94 - Amazon.com

1 comments:

Abbey September 22, 2010 at 11:28 AM  

I have not read these but they have been on my list to read for over a year...I'm glad I saw your review!

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.